- Increase traffic flow;
- Provided enhanced mobility for children, the elderly disabled and the poor;
- Relieve travellers from driving and navigation chores;
- Lower fuel consumption; significantly reduce needs for parking space;
- Reduce crime and facilitate business models for mobility as a service, especially via the sharing economy.
Now, there are levels of driving automation as well.
- Level 0 - No Driving Automation
- Level 1 - Driver Assistance
- Level 2 - Partial Driving Automation
- Level 3 - Conditional Driving Automation
- Level 4 - High Driving Automation
- Level 5 - Full Driving Automation
Most of the companies mentioned above are not even close to the finishing line. The maximum we have seen till now is Level 4 autonomy, and companies working towards achieving Level 5 in next few years.
Possible technological obstacles for autonomous vehicles are:
Even though we have so many disadvantages mentioned, we see that top companies in the world are gearing up to reach the level 5 of automation and make driving human free. However, it may be at least 5 more years till we see an autonomous vehicle on public roads.