- Prevents one from using one’s device.
- Encrypts files as a result of which they cannot be used unless the Ransom is paid.
- The best protection against ransomware attacks is to have all files backed up in a completely separate system. This means that if you suffer an attack you won't lost any information to the hackers.
- The best way to protect yourself is to be suspicious of unsolicited emails and always type out web addresses yourself rather than clicking on links.
- Another key defence is antivirus programs that can scan files before they are downloaded, block secret installations and look for malware that may already be on a computer.
To conclude, awareness among the masses need to be spread to make them more cautious of these attacks. Online security systems need to be upgraded continuously while the older systems need to be phased out gradually to minimize the damage from these attacks. The power of data is limitless and if used to exploit the masses can be very dangerous.